Modernising Shakespeare

Til faglige diskussioner i Engelsk.

Modernising Shakespeare

Postby wildbillydk on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:18 pm

I have recently rewatched the 1996 version of "Romeo and Juliet" and it struck me just how good the modernisation of Shakespeare is. I would have died for a version such as this when I was in school. Back then - in the dark ages ;-) - Shakespeare was about as interesting as watching paint dry. Shakespeare would have liked to see his plays live on.

That's my 10 cents - go ahead and flame me.

WB
wildbillydk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby Anker on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:59 am

Dear Wildbilly.
testing
Anker
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:58 am

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby Phantom on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 pm

wildbillydk wrote:I have recently rewatched the 1996 version of "Romeo and Juliet" and it struck me just how good the modernisation of Shakespeare is. I would have died for a version such as this when I was in school. Back then - in the dark ages ;-) - Shakespeare was about as interesting as watching paint dry. Shakespeare would have liked to see his plays live on.

That's my 10 cents - go ahead and flame me.

WB



I don't agree. First of all, it's a crap film, but in general, modernisation of Shakespeare is for idiots. Read the real thing - or don't read him. Modernising Shakespeare is dumbing him down. If people are not interested in the stuff, or they don't understand it: let it wither away and die! What's next? A special news bulletin where the news is explained for idiots? (Oh, wait, that already exists...)

Phantom
Phantom
 

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby lordoftherings on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Leonardo is cute <3
lordoftherings
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby nissen on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

I think the 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet is interesting because the original language is kept and still you don't notice it when you watch the movie. The film appeals to young people who maybe would be scared of Shakespear's language (tatadata) - the film makes the story easy to understand to anyone. Somehow I think the acting and the scenery is too exaggerated and reminded me too much of the 90s. Romeo and Juliet is a classic story and still relevant today whereas the 1996 film version is a 90s remake of Romeo and Juliet - the film is over done and therefore funny today in 2010..
nissen
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby wildbillydk on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 pm

nissen wrote: Romeo and Juliet is a classic story and still relevant today whereas the 1996 film version is a 90s remake of Romeo and Juliet - the film is over done and therefore funny today in 2010..


Good point. Maybe this implies that every generation needs their Shakespeare remake. What in particular is it that makes you think of the film as particularly 90s?
wildbillydk
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Denmark

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby phantom on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm

nissen wrote:The film appeals to young people who maybe would be scared of Shakespear's language (tatadata) - the film makes the story easy to understand to anyone.


I don't get why young people would be scared of Shakespeare's language. What is scary about it? Agree with the last bit of the statement.

And "Claire Danes is hotter" :oops: :lol:
phantom
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: Modernising Shakespeare

Postby nissen on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:54 pm

wildbillydk wrote:What in particular is it that makes you think of the film as particularly 90s?

I think the music, clothing, scene-set up and so on refers to the 90s

phantom wrote:I don't get why young people would be scared of Shakespeare's language. What is scary about it?

Personally I am not scared of Shakespeare or his language, but I think young people (now this is a generalization of course there is exceptions) in general rather would watch a movie, play videogames and so on than reading Shakespeare. By making a modern film version of Romeo and Juliet you appeal to young people in a "language" they understand.
nissen
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 pm


Return to English Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron